Thursday, December 27, 2012

Planning New Years

Was at work last night checking out the schedule for New Years to see if we were given any time off. And we do. But get this...
Seriously...
GET THIS...

They want me to work Monday, have Tuesday off, and come back for the rest of the week. Not a big deal, right? They're giving people the "hangover day" off so they don't have a bunch of people calling in sick and such. But what gets me is that they made no accommodation, or maybe gave no thought, to the people that work a totally different shift.

Sure, if you work a 9-5 job there's no big deal. Tuesday off? GREAT! But that's not how most of the worker's schedules are. For instance I start work at 6pm and get off at 2:30am. THE HOLIDAY WOULD ALREADY BE OVER. And, furthermore, The time I would be heading home has got to be one of the most dangerous times to be on the road! 2am is when bars close around where I live and there just so happens to be one RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM WORK.


So my coworker and I were discussing it and wrote up a note for HR together asking if we could have Monday off (because it's the actual freaking holiday) and come in to work on Tuesday. This way the work will still get to the other departments in time but won't royally screw over the people working a late shift.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what HR says about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment